среда, 24 мая 2017 г.

How An Ugly Broken Bird Bath Became A Beautiful New Outdoor Planter


I always wanted a bird bath for the garden and found what I thought was the perfect one about ten years ago. Unfortunately it was not long before it started to deteriorate. In just a few years the finish in the basin started to chip away. Understandably the birds stopped hanging around. At that time I gave the entire bird bath a coating of fresh brown spray paint thinking that would fix the problem. Unfortunately it was just a temporary cosmetic fix. A few years later the new paint chipped away and a quarter size chunk of metal fell out of the middle. The good thing was the stand was in excellent shape. The bad thing the basin was no longer usable as bird bath.

So I gave up on the idea of using it as a bird bath and decided to make it into a beautiful new outdoor planter.




how an ugly broken bird bath became a beautiful new outdoor planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling




This is a before photograph of the basin.


how an ugly broken bird bath became a beautiful new outdoor planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling




But as you can see the stand was still in pretty good shape.


how an ugly broken bird bath became a beautiful new outdoor planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling




I gave the basin a good cleaning and then a coat of primer.


how an ugly broken bird bath became a beautiful new outdoor planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling




The next thing I did was give the bird bath a couple of coats of black spray paint. I planned to place my new outdoor planter in a garden bed under a tree in the front yard. I chose the colour black so it would coordinate with the black front door and black double garage doors.


how an ugly broken bird bath became a beautiful new outdoor planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling




Since I could not use this as a bird bath any longer I decided to add a special detail to the basin.


how an ugly broken bird bath became a beautiful new outdoor planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling




I glued pretty blue glass gems that I bought at the dollar store. They were attached with a clear silicone.
Since it couldn't hold water any longer I figured I could make it look like it was filled with pretty blue sparkling water.
The blue glass gems are a beautiful contrast to the basic black finish.


how an ugly broken bird bath became a beautiful new outdoor planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling




Rather than toss out this ugly damaged bird bath I freshened it up and made it into a beautiful new outdoor planter.
My plan is to place an outdoor floral planter in it with trailing plants during the growing season. I know I'll be covering the glass gems during this time. But another purpose for applying a layer of glass gems to the bottom of the basin was to make it more solid. I didn't want any more of the metal to break away.
I have other plans for how I plan to decorate my new outdoor planter. On the blog I share how I decorated it for Halloween and I have plans to make it into a Christmas outdoor planter!
I invite you to visit the blog for more photographs and details!


how an ugly broken bird bath became a beautiful new outdoor planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling





Original article and pictures take http://www.hometalk.com/11399745/how-an-ugly-broken-bird-bath-became-a-beautiful-new-outdoor-planter site


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий